Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Being part of the global community



The Wolfson College 2004-2005 magazine made its way from Cambridge to my home today. Had a pleasant surprise when I turned to page 44 under the title "The Press Fellowship 2002-2005" for there was a mug-shot of me alongside the photo of my fellow mate Farai of Zimbabwe. My thoughts were immediately taken back to the time when we were on the programme during the Michaelmas Term 2004. I couldn't agree more with what programme director John Naughton wrote: "What makes the Press Fellowship distinctive is that it is not a course, but a way of giving busy journalists the time and space in which to do some serious thinking, away from the pressures of their professional lives." In the course of my 'research' on 'The British Media Reporting of Islam', I had the chance to read various British newspapers and meet or communicate with a number of personalities, Muslims and non-Muslims alike. I truly value the experience as it has made me a better person and helped me in the course of my work, just like the time when I organised the visit of the Indian journalists to Malaysia or the UNESCO-approved workshop for journalists from Arabic-speaking countries. I am looking forward to even more challenging tasks in discharging my duties as being part of the global community. In this regard, it is heartening to note of John's writing that the Press Fellowship is 24 years old this year and will soon be welcoming its 300th fellow. (I suppose it has done so by now). As he rightly pointed out: "The map of the world on which we record the countries from which Press Fellows come now has pins in 44 countries - a new (and we hope benign) 'empire' on which the sun never sets."

No comments: