Thursday, April 10, 2008

'Sape' takes Ulu Baram man to Paris …


Sarawak's melodious stringed instrument, the Sape, has taken a man from remote Ulu Baram to perform at the Unesco’s headquarters in Paris -- the world city of arts and culture.
Being an accomplished sape player, Mathew Ngau Jau, 56, from Long Semiang in Ulu Baram, Sarawak is all too happy to introduce the guitar-like instrument to music lovers outside the country.
"I feel very proud to present the music of my ethnic Orang Ulu Kenyah to the world.
"In my place, this instrument is an ordinary sound but here people from all over appreciate it.
"I hope my sons will continue playing this instrument so that the world continues to know about Orang Ulu, Kenyah and Malaysia," he told me after another highly-applauded performance.
Having played the instrument since childhood, Jau became a professional musician 10 years ago.
He is among musicians brought to Paris by the Unity, Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry to showcase Malaysia’s traditional music and cultural performance.
Their presence is part of Malaysia’s attempt to get Melaka and Penang listed as Unesco’s world heritage sites.

No comments: