Sunday, July 27, 2008

Away from the maddening crowd ...


A trip to Hulu Langat could provide some peace of mind for KL city folks. Many have in fact invested in properties in the area and settling down in new townships in its vicinity. It is interesting that Wikipaedia has provided information about Hulu Langat town, saying it is famous for its durians. The town is also popular for its recreational activities and natural surroundings. Among the popular spots of eco-tourism are the Sungai Gabai Waterfalls, the Semenyih Water Reservoir and the Sungai Congkak Forest Recreational Centre.


Enterprising residents are taking advantage of the many visitors to the area to sell fruits such as durians, rambutans and mangosteens or set-up small business like Restoren Pohon Bambu, offering kampung food.
Like many 'kampung-less' city dwellers, I had dreamed of owning a small plot somewhere in Hulu Langat to build a weekend home. After scanning some newspaper advertisements, I found a tempting offer and contacted the seller who took me to view the place. With a small stream passing through the land, I had visualised it to be an ideal place to refresh the mind. I utilised whatever savings I had to pay the booking fee but kept it a secret from my family. I had wanted to surprise them with a 'kampung house' -- a place to go to on weekends.
It's been two years since and I'm still wondering if I could finally own that small piece of land as the seller had run into problems.

No comments: