Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Tribute to a man who saved my life ....

With the grace of Allah, Datuk Dr Nik Zainal Abidin Abdul Rahman had saved many lives in his illustrious career as cardiologist. I'm one of them.
When I laid in coma at the Gleneagles Hospital last November, he answered the emergency call and rushed to my aid.
He told me days later that they had initially thought I had a stroke as I was "almost breathless, gasping for air".
My face was pale and bluish.
Without wasting any time, he ran some tests on my brains, fearing it could have been severely affected by the attack.
But my brain gave a positive response.
I may have been out for two or three hours during which they finally traced the problem to my swelling water-logged lungs.
The doctors zeroed in my ailment as acute pneumonia and took steps to drain out the water from my body. I should be lucky to have survived.
Dr Nik told me that I could have been ‘gone’ if I had been half an hour late to the hospital.
"You gave us quite an excitement last night,'" his words still ringing in my ears when he saw me after I regained consciousness.
With tube placed in my mouth, I couldn't talk and could only gazed at him.
I recalled him telling the nurse that I was a strong guy to survive the ordeal.
When I finally had the chance to thanked him after they had taken the tube off my mouth several days later, he was his usual-self.
I now realise of his admirable traits -- unassuming and down-to-earth despite his high-achievement.
I remember him for his bow-tie but what would now endeared me to him is the memories of a man who had literally given me a new breath of life.
As I read the obituaries of this great man in the newspapers today, I couldn't help feeling moved by what he has done to the country.
And in my silent prayer, I am thankful to have crossed path with the man whom I will never get a chance to meet again.
For all the lives that he had saved, Dr Nik lost his when his four-wheel drive collided with a lorry near Karak Highway as he was heading towards Bentong from his house in Janda Baik on Monday, Oct 29.
In him, I found a man, a great man, who had passionately devoted his life to saving lives.
Al-Fatihah...

No comments: